What is the problem?
Throughout Bangladesh there are a high number of children living on the streets. It has been found that within the capital Dhaka which has high poverty levels there are over 333,920 street children and many are being or have been exposed to one or more of the following:
- Sexual trafficking
- Organised crime
- Drug and substance abuse
- Homelessness and malnutrition
- Once these children are victims of any of the above its is very difficult for them to get back on track and feel safe and they are often completely alone.
What have we done so far?
In 2008 after researching and working with local NGO’s for 9 months, Restless beings opened the Restless Beings Rehab Centre and Home in the bustling area of Mohammadpur, Dhaka.
The Restless Beings Team in Dhaka set out to work with at least 20 children at one time, and since it’s opening we have been able to offer hundreds of street children:
- Medical treatment and psychological counselling
- Life skills, allowing children to have a sense of ownership through various responsibilities
- drastically changing their lives for the better, despite being seen to be beyond help by other organisations.
In March 2010 after having converted the roof of the centre into another teaching area and using the money raised from the Rooftop Fence Challenge we were able to erect the fence around the rooftop allowing for a much safer environment.
Restless Beings Village
February 2012 saw the launch of our 100Kids campaign, whereby we asked for 100 people to raise £100 in 100 days for 100 of the most marginalised street children, in hope that we would raise enough funds to start our latest expansion project- the Restless Beings Village!
After 100 days we had raised over £45,000 with the help of over 400 supporters! This then allowed us to start putting our expansion project into action. At the moment we are currently looking to buy land in Bangladesh to start building our Restless Beings Village which will consist of:
- A school building with classrooms and offices
- An accommodation building to house 100 children
- A playground area in the middle of the village complex
- A fishery, where children can breed fish to sell to the local markets.
With your help we can give them all a safe home and the childhood they deserve.
Many more very exciting developments are in progress for this project and we just cant wait to tell you all about them! Follow our Twitter and Facebook accounts and be the first to hear!